Chicken Katsu CurryPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
Servings: 4 servings
- 160 g white rice - sticky or basmati (raw weight)
- 500 g chicken breast (approx. 4 breasts flattened)
- 60 g breadcrumbs/panko breadcrumbs
- 4 egg whites (or 1 egg)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 kcal spray
- 400 mls veg stock
- 1 finely chopped onion (approx. 150g)
- 5 to 10 g finely chopped ginger
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 15 g plain flour
- 20 g curry powder
- Cook the rice in boiling water according to packet instructions.
- Add the egg whites to a bowl.
- Add the breadcrumbs to another bowl and season well with salt and pepper.
- Dip each strip of chicken breast in the egg whites to coat well.
- Remove from the egg mixture and dip into the breadcrumb mix.
- Flip over and coat well.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the chicken and spray each piece with some 1 kcal spray.
- Add the breaded chicken to the air fryer and cook for 20 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Flip half way through cooking and give another few sprays of 1 kcal spray to crisp them up.
- If using an oven, spray a lined baking tray well with 1 kcal spray, add the chicken, spray on top again and bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes until crispy and cooked throughout (flipping after 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, to make the katsu sauce, heat a pan on a medium heat.
- Spray well with 1kcal spray and add the ginger, garlic and onion.
- Cook on a medium heat for about 7-8 minutes stirring from time to time to soften the onion.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour on and mix well.
- Add the veg stock slowly and stir well.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and blitz the sauce with a hand blender until smooth.
- Taste and season as required.
- Portion out the rice into 4 portions.
- Slice each chicken breast into thick pieces.
- Add the sliced chicken breast to each portion of rice and pour the sauce over.
- Serve with a side salad/veg stir-fry.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 381kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 3g